Saturday, March 1, 2008

Is February really gone?

It's March! I can't believe it! I thought February would never end - and not just because we had an extra day this year. The cold and snow and cold and wind and more cold and ice and... you get the picture.

There is an upside to the cold. An article on the front page of today's paper says pests like the Japanese beetle won't have survived. The funny thing is, I just had a dream about beetles on some pink roses. Odd, because the only rose I have is a red climber, growing on a trellis on the side of the house.

Today is beautiful-- a real herald of the warmer weather to come. The breeze is from the south and I'm itching to work in the garden. Unfortunately, the ground is frozen solid. I tried to pull some mulch away from the creeping lemon thyme that someday will grow between the pavers in the Book Garden, but it is just a frozen blob and I'm afraid I'll damage the plants underneath.

Sigh. Patience, I know. But it's really hard to be patient on a lovely day like today.

No comments: