Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Inspiration

Friends and relatives have asked: How did you come up with the idea for this book? Well, it all started about a year and a half ago. A friend in an online writing group was selling some old costume jewelry. She posted pictures of the pieces. I was browsing through the pictures when one struck me - a pendant with an opal in the center and eight emerald-green stones surrounding it. Wow, I thought. What an interesting piece. Just look at the picture - I think it's beautiful.
I kept thinking about the pendant - and then I started to wonder - what if it had magical powers? What if it could tell who your soul mate was?
I contacted Laura Hamby and said - hey, here's an idea for a continuity series. You can write one, and find some other people who are interested in the concept. She said - you write one. I said, Oh, No! I'm just giving you the idea.
And then she said those three little words - I'll help you.
So together, we wrote the prologue and came up with the elements of the series that will carry from book to book: Dacien, the guardian of the pendant, his wife, Lena, and the antique shop, Tesoro del Cuore (which means Treasure of the Heart in Italian.)
And that's how it started - and the result is The Pendant: Callie - book one in the series, and The Pendant: Maeve, Laura's story, which will be out in November.

Susan

No comments: